Saturday 26 February 2022


Porter Cake No 2


I posted Porter Cake No 1 in early 2015, so that is seven years ago! Check it out on my Blog! It is a wonderful cake, and it uses currants, as most old traditional Cornish cakes do. Doesn’t time fly? I came across this different version in my old scrap book, so thought I would give it a try. But take note - the cake needs to rest and mature for 10-12 days before tucking in. Hey ho. Must be done. I used Lidl’s Porter*, just £1.09 for a large bottle. My husband drank the left over!


You will need a 7 inch spring form cake tin, greased and lined, pre heat your fan oven to 150C


4 oz softened butter

4 oz soft light brown sugar [or dark]

2 large eggs

8 oz plain flour

½ teaspoonful baking powder

1 teaspoonful mixed spice

¼ pint [5 fl oz] Porter*

6 oz each of sultanas and raisins

the grated zest of a lemon


In a medium mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar, then beat in the eggs one at a time with a small amount of flour with each. Fold in the floor, bp and spice then add the Porter [or Guinness], mixing well, then finally stir in the zest and fruit.


Tip into your prepared tin and level off. Bake for about 1½ hours, then cool in the tin. When cold, pierce all over the top of the cake with a fine knitting needle or similar. Spoon over some more Porter, then allow to dry for half an hour.


Wrap in parchment and foil [I am a fan of parchment lined foil, available in Lakeland] then after a week, unwrap and pour over more Porter, if you wish. Wrap again before munching a few days later.


Well I never, how yummy. Enjoy


Note: The smell when you unwrap is just wonderful. 


6 comments:

  1. Just discovered your blog, and love the sound of the Porter cake. Where do you find Porter? It's a good old fashioned drink , isnt it?
    (PS, wish your font was a bit larger)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get Lidl's porter-£1.09 per bottle

    ReplyDelete

  3. I truly lack the words to express my gratitude.
    Paul Allen | HHCP Distillate

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like to read such interested blogs. Keep sharing

    Erik| Deep Tissue Massage

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this kind of interested blog.

    Jessica| CBD Infused Honey

    ReplyDelete