Saturday 5 March 2022


Fig Cake


I love figs!!  And this cake is just amazing! My husband calls them tea bags and will sit and munch away the soft dried figs until they are all gone. Many is the time I have gone to my baking cupboard and found none there! This is a very yummy recipe, with a quite unusual method and I hope you all enjoy it!! It is very different! You can find the soft figs ready to eat anywhere now, but I do love them from Lidl.


You will need an 8 inch spring form cake tin, greased and lined, pre heat your fan oven to 160C


12 oz plain flour

6 oz butter

8 oz caster sugar

7½ oz whole milk

4 large egg whites, beaten to soft peaks

1 teaspoonful each of nutmeg and cinnamon

8 oz figs, chopped

1 tablespoonful golden syrup


In a medium bowl cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the flour along with the whole milk, then fold in the egg whites carefully. Add the spices, figs and golden syrup. Tip into your prepared tin and bake for about an hour.


Cool in the tin for a short while then turn out. Dust with icing sugar before serving, if you wish. I did not bother.


While this is technically a cake, it is fab eaten warm with clotted cream of course. Keeps well for about a week in a tin.


What to do with 4 egg yolks?? My husband fried them up and popped them on a slice of toast for lunch.


No comments:

Post a Comment