Saturday 29 January 2022


 

Chocolate and Soured Cream Sponge


A delicious, so moist and utterly yummy, easy sponge recipe that is a bit different, making it so wonderful, trust me!!. It can be filled with whipped double cream, or Butter Cream and either of those may be flavoured with an extra hit of chocolate. You could also decorate the top, but personally I do not think it needs it.


You will need 2 x 8 inch loose bottomed sponge tins, buttered, with the bases lined. Pre heat your fan oven to 160C.


6 oz softened butter

9 oz caster sugar

2 oz good quality cocoa

6 oz self raising flour

1 level teaspoonful baking powder

a pinch of salt

a teaspoonful vanilla extract

4 large eggs

1 x 150 ml pot of soured cream


In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. In a jig, whisk together the eggs, vanilla and scoured cream. Sift together the flour, cocoa, bp and salt, then add to the buttery mix, along with the eggs and cream. Mix well.


Divide between your sponge tins. If you are a saddo, like me, you will use scales to ensure both have an even amount of mixture. Level off and bake for about 25 mins.


Cool in the tins for a short while then turn onto a rack to cool before filling. Yum yum.


Hint: I do like to add, as I did in the above, a little Camp coffee to my chocolate butter icing to give it a mocha flavour. Even more delish.


Note: Whenever I fill tins, without weighing, they always turn out uneven!! I try to fill, thinking  “right., that’s good” then I check and it is way out! 


Note: This recipe was given to me, on a piece of paper, neatly written. But a few months down the line, I have forgotten who handed it to me. Must be my age, so I must apologise. But it is not my recipe and it is scrumptious!



No comments:

Post a Comment