Sunday 5 September 2021


 

Conference Cake


One of my favourite fruits are Conference Pears and the new season fruit are with us.

I also love making cakes with oil, they are always moist, and so easy. I chopped an extra smaller pear along with some demerara for a topping, or you could perhaps drizzle over some icing - whatever! Or just leave plain, cause it needs nothing really. I found this recipe in an old book someone gave me, knowing how much I love trawling through other folk’s cast offs!


You can make it in a conventional round tin, or a loaf tin. But I used a 10 inch square tray bake tin. 


You will need a tin of your choice, oiled and lined if using a larger round tin. Pre heat your fan oven to 160C


9 oz plain flour

8 oz golden caster sugar

½ teaspoonful baking powder

pinch of salt

2 large eggs

6 fl oz sunflower oil

1 teaspoonful vanilla extract or bean paste

2 medium-large size Conference pears, peel and chopped - not too small

2-3 oz of roughly chopped walnuts


In a large bowl, sift in your your ingredients, then making a hole in the centre, pour in the beaten eggs and oil. Mix well and stir in the fruit and nuts. Well, that was hard work - not! Yes, the dough is stiff, making allowance for the fruit to soften.


Tip into your prepared tin, level off the top and bake for about 50-55 mins, until firm to the touch and nicely golden. Less for a tray bake.


Cool before drizzling over some icing if using. Cut into squares, as I did if using a tray bake tin.


Note: Substitute walnuts for pecans or hazelnuts if you wish. Or why not sprinkle over some crystallised pears if you can find some.


Enjoy! This recipe is absolutely scrummy. Trust me.





No comments:

Post a Comment