Saturday 8 August 2020

Savoury 3 ingredient scones


As promised, here is the savoury version of that wonderful 3 ingredient scone recipe from Australia. Of course, it is three plus the cheese and onion and seasonings, but the scone base is still 3! My grateful thanks goes to Kirsten, from Sydney and other followers who have passed on to me the savoury alternative, using soda water. I made below, but of course the variations must be endless.


Pre heat your fan oven to 200C and lightly grease a baking tray. I used a 2½ inch cutter. Makes 12 and will freeze perfectly.


Cheese and Onion Scones


You will need to finely chop and fry a large red onion in a little oil and butter, lightly seasoned, until just browning and soft. Set aside to cool.


Grate the cheese of your choice - two large handfuls. I used Red Leicester.


3 cups of SR flour

1 cup of double cream

1 cup of soda water.


In a mixing bowl, place the flour, cheese and onion, plus seasonings. I used S&P and a teaspoonful of dry mustard powder.


Mix the cream and soda water and add to the flour. Bring together and lightly roll out on a floured worktop, about an inch thick. Cut into rounds and place on your baking sheet bake for 15 mins.


When just warm, slather in butter. Oh my!!


Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment