Sunday 23 August 2020


Jan’s Grandmother’s Upside Down Cake


Jan, my friend and distant cousin from down under, has passed to me her Grandmother’s and then her Mother’s Upside Down cake recipe. You don’t need to me tell you is is deliciously buttery and very yummy. Jan says her mother often used a different combo of fruit for the topping or even crushed pineapple. She also used almonds, although I used toasted hazelnuts, mostly because that is what needed to be used up!


You will need any non loose bottomed tin, although I used a ring tin. I like them!  But a round or square will do, probably about 6 or 7 inches.


Pre heat your fan oven to “moderate”. I plumped for 150C


4 oz butter

3 oz sugar - I used caster

2 large eggs

4 oz plain flour

1 teaspoonful baking powder

pinch salt


topping:

2 oz melted butter

2 oz brown sugar - I used demerara

2 oz chopped nuts

2 oz sultanas and /or cherries


In the base of your tin, tip the melted butter and also brush the sides with it, then arrange the remainder of your topping ingredients into the butter


In a medium bowl, cream the butter and sugar then add the beaten eggs and finally the flour and bp. Tip the cake mixture over the buttery fruit.


Bake for about 35-40 mins. Invert onto a cooling rack and enjoy! We found it even better the next day.


Note: Give the base a good tap to loosen any fruit that might have decided to stick. I had a couple that did not budge, but they are easy to pop on the top by hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment