Friday 14 February 2020



Cornish Slab Cake - no 2


As promised here is another version of Slab Cake. I have always been led to believe that Slab Cake was Heavy Cake, but using SR flour instead of plain and instead of water to bind, use an egg and the remainder made up with milk or buttermilk. [I had some sour cream left over so I used that and milk] I am a great believer is using up left overs where possible. Here below I have made half the quantity that I would make for heavy cake. It does not keep as well, but is still good the next day.

You will need a baking sheet and pre heat your fan oven to about 190C

12 oz SR flour
2 oz lard
2 oz butter
caster sugar to taste - I use about 2 heaped tablespoonfuls
about 2 oz mixed peel
about 8 oz currants [I never weigh the above, just chuck them in]
1 egg and enough milk to make up to about 6 fl oz.

In a mixing bowl, rub the fat into the flour. Not right down, but about two thirds of the way. Add the sugar and then the fruit. Whisk together your milky liquid of choice and pour into the flour mix and bind with a blunt knife. Knead lightly on a floured surface and shape into a round. Lift onto a lightly greased baking sheet. Roll out until it is about an inch thick and sprinkle with more caster.

Bake for about 25 mins. Allow to cool until just warm and tuck in.


Note: some folk use sultanas. It is a moveable feast!! Plain simple baking, but very good.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this recipe. My gran used to make it, and I had totally forgotten about it until reading this. I'll be making it for my kids now.

    ReplyDelete