Tuesday 11 June 2019


POTATO CAKE

I have been asked to post this recipe by Elaine who has fond memories of tasting it! A very old recipe, although I have never posted it before. I have always had the recipe, from the wonderful Cornish Recipes 1920s book, but never made it, as I was not quite sure about mixing potato and sweet ingredients! BUT how I wish I had done this before! Thanks Elaine, for giving me that jolt. I have used currants, but some would have used sultanas. Your choice. When using inverted commas I am quoting the book. I made half the quantity and this made 12 large squares.

You will need a “hot” oven [210C in your fan oven?] and a greased baking “sheath”.

“1 lb of flour
1 lb boiled potatoes, cold
½ lb grated suet
2 oz sugar
1 oz peel 
pinch salt
¼ lb currants”

“Mix all together with milk or buttermilk, into a stiff dough, roll pout and pout on a baking sheath, lightly cut in squares with a knife, and bake in hot oven.”

I used milk as I had run out of buttermilk. Elaine recalls it made with sultanas. I mashed the potato before adding it to the other ingredients and mixed well before adding the liquid. I used a fraction under 5 fl oz of milk to mix.

Place on your prepared baking sheet, square if off and roll out evenly then cut into squares. I have a small rolling pin and always find it easier to roll out on the sheet.

I baked it for about 35-40 mins, turning down to 200C after 25 mins, then down to 180C for the last 5 mins.

Well, what a surprise! Just delicious, especially buttered!! Plus, just as good the next day. The texture is quite different and a little strange!  I think it needs a tad more sugar though. I should never ever have doubted our forebears!! I do hope you enjoy this Elaine and it brings back many happy memories.



No comments:

Post a Comment