Saturday 19 January 2019


Coffee and Almond Sandwich


When my friend Pam gave me this recipe I was not sure that the two flavours went together.  But never say die, I went ahead and baked it anyway. My gosh! I am so pleased I did. Camp coffee is great for baking and this cake is absolutely delicious.

You will need 2 x 7” loose bottom sponge tins, well buttered and the bases lined. Pre heart your fan oven to 150C

4 oz SR flour
1 teaspoonful baking powder
4 oz butter
4 oz caster sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon Camp Coffee
2 oz finely chopped almonds

In a medium bowl, place the flour, baking powder, sugar, softened butter and eggs and beat together, Then add the coffee and nuts. The mixture should be fairly soft, so you may need to add a tiny amount of milk.

Divide between the two tins and level off. I am a saddo and weigh them so they are equal. Bake for about 25 mins until form to the touch. Leave them in the tins for a short while then cool on a rack.

Meanwhile make the filling:

2 oz  chopped almonds, lightly toasted in a dry fry pan - but watch them!
3 oz softened butter
6 oz icing sugar
1 dessertspoonful Camp Coffee
a little warm water if needed

In a basin, beat the butter and add the icing sugar and Camp. It should be fairly thick, but spreadable. Add a little warm water if necessary. Divide roughly into two and fill the sponges.
Spread the remainder on top and sprinkle over the toasted almonds.

Note: I increased the quantity to make the larger cake as shown in the photo. Half as much again in 9inch tins. Plus added about 5 mins to the cooking time.




No comments:

Post a Comment