Monday 1 October 2018


Vinegar Cake


There are many versions of this traditional cake, some very old and I have tried a few, with disappointing results. I was about to give up and THEN found this recipe! And it is just lovely. So moist with a lovely flavour and texture. Trust me, I never post a recipe until it is tried and tested and passes with flying colours. The recipe does not tell me what vinegar to use, so I plumped for malt. Our forebears would never have had many of the types we use today? 


You will need a 7 inch cake tin, well buttered and lined. Pre heat your fan oven to 150C

8 oz SR flour
5 oz caster sugar
3 oz butter
3 oz currants
3 oz raisins
1 oz very finely chopped mixed peel
1 tablespoon vinegar
9 tablespoons whole milk [I used buttermilk]

Place the flour and sugar in a bowl and rub in the butter, until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Mix in the dried fruits. Mix to a soft ish dropping consistency with the vinegar and milk.

Tip into your prepared tin and bake for about 1¼ -1½ hours. Mine cooked in 1 hr 20 mins. Cool in the tin for a short while then turn out onto a rack.

A winner.  At last a Tick for this old recipe, I am so pleased I did not give up. It keeps well and stay moist for several days too.

Note: I decided to add a little vanilla extract. Ingredients like dried fruit I almost never weigh, unless it is a special recipe. I have been baking too long to be bothered and reckon I can approx judge! I think I might have added a few more currants though.


I will try and keep up with any queries while I am away, but please forgive me if I miss anything.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, do give us a call if you are passing through West Sussex; I've still got Arty's cookbooks including her handwritten one if you'd like a look,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arthur has my current email as the demon one has disappeared. Phone number still the same

      Delete