Sunday 6 November 2016




Nutty Oat and Meringue slices


I found this recipe in a very old book [I collect them! and love trawling through second hand book shops].  It is quite unusual, so right down my street. I have made a couple of minor adjustments to bring it up to date but I guarantee you will love this recipe! So easy too.

Butter a 8” x 12” tray bake tin. I lined the long side with baking parchment, hanging over the sides to help you lift it out. Pre heat your fan oven to 160C [initially]


9 oz medium oats
6 oz soft light brown sugar
6 oz melted butter
3 egg yolks [you will need the whites in a mo]
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract

Combine the oats and sugar in a medium bowl then pour over the warmed butter and fork it through until all the oats are buttery and leave for about 5 - 10 mins. Stir the vanilla into the egg yolks then mix these with the buttery oats. It smells wonderful at this stage! Press this into your prepared tin, getting it as level as possible. [back of a spoon is handy for this - see photo on my Blog]]. Bake this for about 20 mins.



When this comes out of the oven, turn it down to 130C

Meanwhile…..

3 egg whites
4 oz caster sugar
4 - 5 oz roughly chopped hazelnuts or any nuts. I used half hazelnuts and half chopped whole almonds and pecans.

Whisk the egg whites until stiff then add the sugar and continue whisking until thick and glossy. At this point you can also stir in some finely chopped roasted hazelnuts, like I did.

Spread the meringue over the oaty base that has cooled a bit, then sprinkle with the chopped hazelnuts. Bake until the meringue and nuts are golden - about 25 - 30 mins.

When cooled a little, slice and Enjoy! So scrummy. Just a wonderful recipe.




No comments:

Post a Comment