Saturday 5 September 2015



SPICY OATMEAL CAKE


This is a very special and different cake! So soft, with such a delicious texture and flavour. This unusual recipe was given to me by a rellie on my recent travels in South Africa, hence the cinnamon! The original recipe was shown with a decorated topping but personally I do not think it needs it, a dollop of clotted cream alongside would be much nicer!! But then I am Cornish through and through. The frosting is just as unusual, so I have added it. I have made the cake twice now and used the topping on the second. My husband, who has a very sweet tooth, loved it!! You choose!

3 ½ oz oatmeal [medium]
generous ½ pint boiling water
Start off by adding the water to the oats and set aside for a while to cool and absorb all the water.

4 oz butter
9 oz soft dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
2 large eggs
7 oz SR flour
small teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
large pinch of baking powder
generous teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt

Cream the butter, vanilla and sugar, then add the eggs one at a time. Add the dry ingredients then finally the oatmeal. Mix well until the porridge is combined

Tip into your prepared large loaf tin. I place a wide piece of parchment across the short side to help lift it out. Bake for about 50-55 mins at 160C, turning down to 150 after 30 mins. Cool on a rack.

Meanwhile…. heat your grill



LAZY DAISY FROSTING

2 oz butter
2 fl oz evaporated milk
3 oz soft dark brown sugar
2 oz coconut 
3 oz chopped nuts. I used pecans, but only cause that is what I had, and I do like using them for baking.

Melt the milk and butter then add the sugar until melted, stirring continually until bubbling. Then add the coconut and nuts. Spread over the top of your cake and pop under the grill while still hot.

WATCH IT ALL THE TIME!!! toast until brown and very bubbly. Mine took about 4 -5 mins. But I continually checked it. I also placed it on the rack furthest from the elements.


Just absolutely delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment