Monday 28 September 2015



CHOCOLATE BANANA CAKE


This is another delicious recipe from my rellies in South Africa. It really is the most scrumptious cake!! It is quite large, so is easily halved. I made the full quantity as per the original recipe and had to use a 9” round tin and that was full to the brim! Half the amount in a small loaf tin would be equally as good, but adjust the timings.

Such wonderfully indulgent ingredients! No wonder it is so good!!!

Lightly oil, then line the base of your chosen size tin. I used a 9”. Preheat your fan oven to about 165C.

8 oz softened butter
11 oz caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste [or extract]
3 large eggs
15 oz SR flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 oz melted 70% cocoa solids chocolate [this is me, not the recipe!]
125 ml sour cream
3 mashed bananas [4 if small]

Cream the butter, vanilla and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, then add the mashed bananas, followed by the melted chocolate. Fold in the remaining dry ingredients and the sour cream, until well incorporated.

Tip into your prepared tin and bake for 1 hour or until firm to the touch. Cool in the tin for a bit before turning out.

Well, what can I say. Just brilliant.


Now I am not a fan of heavily decorated buns and cakes. The ingredients should speak for themselves without the showy decorated over sweet toppings. In my view this needs nothing except a light dusting of icing sugar, or I often use a sprinkling of flake for that extra chocolatey hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment