Friday 22 August 2014



HOGS PUDDING PATTIES from Falmouth


This “recipe idea” was given to me by Marlene, aged 80 from Falmouth, over lunch at an all day Bridge event. The conversation amongst the ladies turned to food, as it does! and Marlene told us about her childhood Sunday teas, when her mother would make these Hogs Pudding Patties. I quizzed her about the method and I do hope I have recreated them exactly as she explained it to me.

Some months ago I made [and posted] Hogs Pudding from Scratch and it was pretty hard work! This time I went to the Farmer’s Market over at Truro, on a Saturday morning and bought a Hogs Pudding from The Primrose Herd, Busveal, Redruth. 

For about 12 Patties: you need about a 9 - 10 inch length of Hogs Pudding. This Premium Cornish Pork Pudding cost me just over £4.

Make up some rough puff pastry:
8 oz plain flour 
large pinch salt
4 oz fat - half lard, half block stork

rub the fat into the flour then bind with just enough very cold water. Work into one piece then place in some cling film and chill for at least half an hour. Or alternatively buy some!

I rubbed the fat in rather more than I would do for pasties. I wanted it between rough puff and shortcrust.

You need 2 cutters, one giving you a ¼ inch edge when the hogs pudding is sitting on it and one larger, with enough length to come over the sides [just]. Roll out your pastry until fairly thin.

Slice the Hogs Pudding and remove the skin. Cut the smaller pastry circle, brush it with beaten egg and place the Hogs Pudding slice on top. Cover with the larger circle of pastry and take a fork and press the edges together with the fork, making a sort of frill. Repeat.

Brush the tops with more of the beaten egg and prick with a fork, before popping them into a hot fan oven 220C. Turn down after 10 mins to 190C and cook for a further 25-30 mins.

Very good, Marlene! Thank you for your reminiscences.



No comments:

Post a Comment