Tuesday 26 August 2014


BEEF OLIVES with proper PARSLEY STUFFING


My mother used to make these regularly and as a young child, I recall looking for the cotton holding them together, before tucking in!  I don’t know if they are particularly Cornish, although they may be, but my Mother always used proper Cornish Parsley Stuffing with them. I have no idea where they originate but for me they bring back memories and taste of my childhood.

I have given them a slightly modern twist, but keeping as a base my Mother’s recipe.

I use 2 per person, although my husband will eat 3! I am not giving you exact quantities as it depends on how many you are prepping etc. There is no need to use expensive steak, as you are going to pound them, and this tenderises the meat. I use ordinary frying steak.
You also need a small batch of Parsley Stuffing [posted last December] - but any stuffing may be used. Lots of photos on my Blog of each stage.

As in the photos, you need to flatten and pound your steak, [between 2 pieces of polythene]. I use a rolling pin! Cut the steak to shape, but I reckon around 3” x 5” is about right. It should be very thin now.



                                                




Take a small sausage shape piece of stuffing and wrap the steak around it, tying it in place with 2 pieces of cotton thread. When you have enough for the Olives, I chop up the offcuts to use with the stock. I made the Olives in the photo from one pack of Lidl thin cut frying steak.

Peel and dice a large carrot, 2 sticks of celery and a leek - The Terrific Trio! Fry them off in a little oil and butter until just soft and season. Tip them into the bottom of a casserole dish. Using the same pan, turn up the heat, add the chopped up offcuts and then flash fry the Olives to brown the outside, season with Sea Salt and freshly ground pepper.  Place them on top of the veg. Make up a beef stock pot and deglaze the pan with it, then pour over the Olives, with just enough to almost cover. Place in a medium oven, covered, for about an hour. 180 Deg C.

Serve with a lovely mash to soak up the gravy!!! and a green veg. If you look at the end photo you can clearly see the cotton tied around the beef. Take it off before eating!

Cornish Parsley Stuffing - 12 oz fresh bread crumbs [stale bread] teasp salt and pepper, 
6 oz suet, 2 oz chopped fresh parsley, 2 teas dried mixed herbs. Bind all with 4 eggs.


No comments:

Post a Comment