Sunday 18 May 2014




GOLDEN CAKE


This is a very special cake and I have been making it for well over 25 years. I have been racking my brain trying to work out where I got the recipe, but it’s gone. However, I do recall, I think, that it originated in Australia. It improves with age and is a great keeper. Up to 4 weeks in an airtight tin.

It does take a little prepping, but it is well worth it!
Use an 8” springform or similar tin. I line it,  as a cube of the sticky marizpan may be on the bottom or sides.

4 oz dried apricots, chopped
4 oz dried or glace cherries
4 oz walnut pieces
5 - 6 oz cubed marzipan [small]
8 oz golden sultanas
1 large orange
6 oz butter
6 oz caster sugar
3 eggs
8 oz wholemeal flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons milk.

Grate the orange zest and squeeze the juice. Chop the fruit and nuts etc. Cream the butter and sugar, add the beaten eggs, one at a time, along with a small amount of the flour. Stir in the remaining flour and baking powder, then all the remaining ingredients. Give it a good mix and tip into the prepared tin. Bake in a preheated oven 130 deg C for 1¼ - 1½ hours.
Leave in the tin for five mins then cool on a rack. So good!


No comments:

Post a Comment