Wednesday 15 January 2014



SEEDY CAKE


Another old recipe that is not in general use these days and not on my list of usual bakes. I find the smell and taste of Caraway seeds a little strong and not to my taste and my husband is not keen either. BUT I must bake it - and then find someone who will eat it !!! I do want this Blog to be a full record of our cuisine and cannot leave anything out because I don’t like it!

I refer to my old 1920s book, of course, and set off. This recipe uses the creaming method.

In a bowl:    [I am using my new KitchenAid that Santa left in my kitchen!! I am so lucky and it is just wonderful! I feel like a professional chef!] - I digress

3 oz softened butter
4 oz caster sugar
3 eggs, separated
½ lb plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 dessertspoon caraway seeds

Whisk the egg whites to a “stiff froth”. Cream the butter and sugar and add the egg yolks, then gradually add the flour, BP and seeds. Finally, cut and fold in the egg whites, in about 3 batches. An unusual method to mix cakes.

I used a lightly oiled, lined 7 inch springform tin. Tip into your tin and bake in a “moderate” oven for about 45 - 50 mins. I turned mine to 180 deg C and hoped for the best. It was just right, but I turned it down for the last 10 mins or so. It will be ready when firm to the touch.

I cut the cake to photograph it, when just cold and it did look lovely - shame about the smelly seeds! The texture was spongy, soft and moist. A great cake! I will try it again using another flavouring! Mike next door loved it!




3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Dad loves seedy cake! As a child I hated it, but now I enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete