Saturday 18 January 2014



Meaty Fuggan


As usual, I have very little to go on as I tackle this dish and will quote you my old recipe book. After scant instructions for the crust-

“roll into an oval shape, cut in half through the middle longways, pull cut abroad”
Well I think I understand that!
“fill with fresh meat [pork or beef] chopped and seasoned. Pinch edges of cut together and bake in a hot oven for 35-40 mins”
At least they have given some timings!
I set off and made the crust, not really knowing how much I would need, but it is easier to work with plenty than scraping by. Discarding a little pastry is not the end of the world.
8 oz plain flour
2 oz lard
2 oz suet.
Seasoning.
A real old fashioned crust recipe, well used in the book.
Rub in the lard, add the suet and blend with a little very cold water. Chill for at least half an hour.

By seasoned, does it mean using a little onion or herbs as well as S&P? I decided to go for a little finely chopped shallot and some sage. Sage and pork, my choice, go so well together. Just plain meat will be far too bland, and our forebears loved spices and herbs!
I purposely did not buy pork mince. That would not have been available to our forebears so I bought some pork shoulder steaks and cut them up very very finely. That cut is more affordable than leg steaks, is flavourful, has some fat running through it [to add more flavour]. I think this would have been their choice. [fingers crossed].

I rolled out the crust to about 10 - 12 inches, 5 inches wide, so it was still thick enough to cut through. Then opened it out, I had a couple of little holes, so patched them! You need a steady hand to do it. In a bowl I had placed the chopped pork - about 1lb, sea salt and pepper and a heaped teaspoon of dried sage, along with the cooled, lightly fried, chopped shallot. Mix well.






Place on the pastry, the meat in a roll. See photos on my Blog. Close over and pinch the edges. I wanted to crimp but resisted the urge. I then brushed with a little beaten egg to give it a nice glaze, put a few lines on top and a little hole for the steam. Then baked in the stated hot oven. Starting off at 220 deg C for ten mins then turn down to 200. I baked it for about 50 mins, then lifted onto a rack to cool slightly before slicing. It was large, so I gave half to my daughter. We all really liked it and the Fuggan was very tasty.  And why not? Because, honestly - it is just a BIG sausage roll. Sorry ancestors! But this has now evolved into smaller individual bites!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment