Monday 9 December 2013



PAUL CHURCH FEAST PUDDING

This recipe was given to me by Margaret Lawry from Penzance and it was her mother, Vera Harvey’s recipe. The family came from around Paul, near Mousehole and this pudding was baked in October for the local Methodist C
hurch Feast. Margaret says they sometimes made it at Christmas time too, as an alternative to the traditional pudding. 
It is much lighter than the traditional Christmas pudding and very fruity. Thank you so much Margaret, it really is a wonderful recipe.

You need a square or oblong baking dish. I used ceramic, 8 x 8 or 7 x 9 in and 2 in deep, well oiled or buttered.

10 oz SR Flour
6 oz suet
8 oz soft dark [or light] brown sugar - I used light, because it was open!
4 oz glace lemon peel [Sainsbury’s do brilliant individual fruit peels]
juice of a lemon
8 oz raisins
8 oz sultanas
3 eggs + milk [I ended up using 5 tablespoons]
salt
3 apples, grated or finely chopped. I chopped and used small/medium Bramleys
1 - teaspoon each of nutmeg, mixed spice, cinnamon

Mix all the dry ingredients together, then add the juice, eggs and milk to a soft dropping consistency. So easy and quick.


Place in a preheated fan oven, 140 Deg C for 1 hour, then reducing to 120 C for a further hour, until firm and a skewer comes out clean. So delicious! Serve with clotted cream, of course!!!! Or custard. My husband has both!!

Any left over pudding may be cut into squares and popped in the freezer to reheat.

1 comment:

  1. Turned out really well. As you say, a lighter Christmas fruit pudding. I also made Cornish potato cakes and Leek and Bacon pie today. These latter two also were a success, the pie being particularly tasty. I stumbled on this page by chance. I'll be exploring and trying out the recipes I find in the new year. Thanks very much. From Canada.

    ReplyDelete