Sunday 1 December 2013



Beef in Ale with Chestnuts and Cranberries

A great dish for a special meal with Christmas themes! It’s that time of the year when we are planning our menus for the festive period and this is just perfect. No last minute work, except add a green veg and some mash - to soak up all the yummy gravy and very easy. Chestnuts are so delicious and we do not make use of them nearly enough.

Serving about 6 persons

2 lb chuck steak, cubed medium small
Rapeseed oil - olive will do
2 large shallots or medium onions, peeled and sliced
1 tablespoon plain flour
½ pint beef stock - I used a stock pot - they are great
½ pint pale ale
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
A very large handful of dried cranberries
½ teaspoon nutmeg
grated rind [use half] and juice of a medium orange
Pkt of [yummy] Merchant Gourmet Chestnuts - any supermarket
about 15 - 18 Chantenay carrots, whole
handful of chopped parsley





Brown the beef in a hot pan with the oil. This is essential - it seals in the flavours. You will need to do this in 3 or 4 batches. Yes, I know it makes a mess of the top of the stove but it is worth it! Transfer the meat to a casserole dish. Add a little more oil in necessary and fry off the shallots and when just softening add the flour and keep stirring to cover them, then add the stock and ale, followed by the nutmeg and cranberries and orange zest and juice. Bring to a boil. Season generously and pour over the beef. Tip in the chestnuts and parsley, stir well and cover the dish [I used foil]. Put in a hotish oven 190 deg C

Wash, top and tail the carrots - I never bother to peel them and par boil for five or ten mins.
Tip them into the beef mix after about 45 mins of the cooking time. Re cover then back in the oven for a total cooking time of 1¾ hours, turning the oven down to 170 after about and hour and a half. I prepped and half cooked the casserole then chilled overnight to continue on a timer the next day. I have not done it, but cannot see why it cannot be frozen halfway and de frosted in a fridge, then add an extra 15 mins to the remaining time.  It is so delicious and will happily keep in the fridge for a day or so. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. I couldn't find chestnuts locally, so I substituted hazelnuts (filberts). I'll plan ahead next time and order chestnuts, but this worked for me in a pinch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't find chestnuts locally, so I substituted hazelnuts (filberts). I'll plan ahead next time and order chestnuts, but this worked for me in a pinch.

    ReplyDelete