Sunday 10 November 2013




YOGURT pot, “all in one” Cake


This cake is so versatile - you can bake it in a shallow square tin or a deeper round one.
I will give you the base recipe, then you can add whatever you want. Fruit, chocolate chips, coffee etc. You can even use a fruit yogurt like raspberry and add the fresh fruit! It is great as a dessert or a lunchbox filler and it is made in less than 5 mins too!! Can’t be bad. My thanks to Kirsten for her fantastic recipe. I used Blueberries in mine.

Prepare and line any tin you prefer. [you do need to line the tin with parchment]
Set your fan oven to 160 Deg C

Take, in a bowl:
A pot of Yogurt.  I used a Yeo Valley Natural Organic Bio LIve Yogurt. 175 grs.
2 pots of Self Raising Flour
1 ½ pots of caster sugar [or light brown if using dried fruit]
¼ pot of sunflower oil or similar
2 eggs.

Mix together. Add whatever you fancy, eg blueberries, then tip into your tin.
Bake for between 35 mins to an hour, depending on how deep is your tin and the size of your cake. I used a 6” round and it took almost the whole hour. Easy Peasey. Yummy.

Note. Lakeland sells brilliant parchment on a roll, about 4 or 5  inches high. Great for sides of tins.

2 comments:

  1. I am an American of proud Cornish descent. My Cornish family roots date back to mining, my ancestors coming to settle in the SW part of Wisconsin in the town of Mineral Point, a small lead mining village renowned for being the biggest center of Cornish-American culture in the US. It is a nationally-designated heritage site. My great grandmother's family immigrated from Cornwall during the mid-1800's directly from Cornwall to Mineral Point. I just made a huge batch of pasty using her family recipe, which was never committed to paper, but lives on thru oral & demonstrated family history. I am always humbled by my attempts to replicate her recipe for both pasty & a homemade Chile sauce that she always served with it. I think this latest attempt is my best to date. I visited Cornwall on my last trip to the UK, fulfilling a lifetime dream to see for myself what all the family "fuss" was really about. Well, I tasted pasty from Boscastle all the way to Penzance & back. I tasted pasties at every stop along this journey for 3 consecutive days... pasty with Stilton (decadent!), pasty with all varieties of root vegetables, even dessert pasties, but none akin to my Great-Gran's recipe. One my final day of my journey, we found ourselves in Padstow on a beautiful Sunday. We had an early lunch at Rick Stein 's. Then we set about exploring the main "strand" area. Well, there were pasty & cream tea shops all up & down the beach. We planted ourselves on sunny benches where we had a perfect view up & down the strand. I started observing the foot traffic queuing at the various pasty shops. After watching for about 30 minutes & waiting for a "lull" in traffic & I pointed to the shop with the most observed customers & said "that's the one... I want my final Cornish pasty from that shop". So, off the 4 of us went on "yet another" of Penny's pursuits to find the ultimate connection to my roots. Well...JACKPOT!!! After the very first bite of this pasty claiming to be THE original Cornish pasty, I was speechless. It tasted so much like my GG's that I immediately felt a cross-generational visceral connection to my ancestors. Bottom line, I am delighted to discover this blog!!! That being said, I need some help translating some of the recipe ingredients... first, what is "castor" sugar, referred to brown sugar being a suitable substitute??? Second, how does the measure of a full or partial "pot" translate to cups??? Any help would be appreciated & thank you for listening to my entire Cornish family history!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caster/castor is superfine sugar over the pond mluv. UK granulated sugar is very coarse and not always suitable for baking. US granulated is a bit finer and can be used in some baking if it is creamed into butter. The yoghurt pot is 175 grams which would equate to 6.25 oz US, or 3/4 a cup in liquid I imagine

    ReplyDelete