Saturday 16 November 2013


POTATO CAKES

There are so many methods for these little gems and after much studying of my old Cornish recipe book I am still none the wiser!  Some recommend baking in the oven while others suggest using a griddle or pan - one even says you can use a biscuit tin lid over the open fire!!! But after several efforts I can emphatically tell you they are best when done in a pan or griddle.

It is amazing how a few ingredients can have so many methods! So I am plumping for the most obvious - to me anyway. The flour and fat should be rubbed together, [like shortcrust] before adding to the potato, you are making a “cake”.

Take:
6 medium potatoes, peeled, boiled, then mashed with a little milk or preferably buttermilk.
Seasoning. By now you must know my preference for Sea Salt flakes [Kosher salt] and freshly ground pepper. [I always use a mix of black, red, green and white]

6 oz plain flour
3 oz butter [do not even think of using marg - yuk]
A little seasoning as above.

Allow the potato to cool completely. Rub the fat into the flour. Add finely chopped parsley if you wish.
“Modern me now adds, that a touch of fresh grated Parmesan would be great too!!”

I love herbs!! And so did our forebears. So I am sure they would often have added parsley. Bring everything together and gently roll to about between ¼ and ½ inch thick, on a floured surface, then using a cutter make the cakes. I used a 3 inch cutter and this quantity made 12 cakes. After the first batch, reroll the potato mix and cut once more. Use a slice to lift them from the surface to the pan as they will be a little soft.





Heat a large pan with a little oil and butter mix. Then start cooking the cakes. The pan needs to be hot. I reckon the cakes take about 6 or 7 min each side but turn the heat down if they are too brown. How did they manage this on a biscuit tin lid?

They freeze so well, on a flat tray, then bag them up. Reheat in a medium oven for a 10 - 15 mins. They are so versatile and so tasty.

2 comments:

  1. Add a small tin of tuna bits to the mix; Delicious. You can also replace half the potato with mashed celeriac.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so nice. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete