Sunday 10 April 2022


Cider and Orange Cake


Being Cornish through and through I love cakes where the main fruit is currants, although I do not think this is particularly from here! It was sent to me by a cousin who enthused over the flavours. I agree, the spice combination with the hint of orange is just wonderful, not to mention how wonderfully moist it is. Quite strange with no egg whites and cider as the liquid, but somehow it works. She was right. Trust me! It is utterly delicious.


You will need a 7 inch spring form cake tin, greased and lined. Pre heat your fan oven to 160C.


4 oz of softened butter

6 oz castor sugar

2 large egg yolks

8 oz plain flour

1 teaspoonful baking powder

½ teaspoonful each of cinnamon and allspice

the grated zest of one large orange

8 oz currants

5 fl oz sweet cider


In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, and sugar until light and fluffy, then beat in the yolks. Mix together the flour, spices, fruit and zest. Tip into the butter mix  along with the ciuder. Mix well and tip into your prepared tin and bake for about an hour. Cool in the tin for a bit, then when cold cover with an orange flavoured icing.


6 oz icing sugar

2 tablespoonfuls water approx 

a few drops of orange extract

add some coconut to the mix of you wish!  I did!


Spread over the top of your cider cake. Enjoy! Wow! 


The tantalising smell as I took it from the oven tormented me, and I could barely wait to ice and then slice. The cake was barely cold when I took the pic!!



No comments:

Post a Comment