Sunday 27 September 2020


Sausage Pie


Here is a great idea using traditional ingredients in a different way. I saw this in a very old booklet and was a little sceptical but was looking for an easy meal that I could prep in advance so thought I would try it! Well, I am so pleased I didi!! Now I can pass it on to you!


You will need an oblong oven proof dish about 3 pints, or similar. Pre heat your fan oven to 180C


1 lb good sausage meat

[ I used Asda’s Extra Special 98% Pork sausages and skinned them]

½ teaspoonful dried mixed herbs

about 4 oz chopped streaky bacon 

3 medium vine grown tomatoes, sliced

Salt and pepper

1 large cooking apple, peeled and cored and sliced

4 oz grated cheddar

2lb potatoes, mashed [with butter and an egg yolk]


Place the sausage meat in the bottom of a lightly buttered dish. Level off and sprinkle with the herbs. Cook the bacon in a small fry pan in its own fat until crisp and coloured, then place on top of the sausage meat. Add the sliced tomatoes, S&P, and sliced apple. Stir the cheese into the mash and spread over the top [or pipe if you want to be fancy!] Bake for about one hour!


Well I never. How scrumptious.


Note: I sprinkled over some parmesan and smoked paprika for a little extra kick, but that was not in the old recipe.




No comments:

Post a Comment