Friday 12 April 2019


Vienna Shortcakes


While I was visiting friends and rellies “up country” recently, I met up with the family of my dear old friend Atty, who used to live in Falmouth. Atty sadly died three years ago but her cookery books and recipes live on. Over the next year or more I will be passing on many of them to you as I trawl through her books, many of them now back in Cornwall with me.

I will start off with a simple recipe, just delicious and these teatime treats can be served in two ways - with a dob of jam in the centre or with almond. I used the almond.

You will need a 12 hole bun tin and bun cases. A piping bag with a large star shape nozzle. Pre heat your fan oven to 170C. Makes 12.

In a bowl, place:

8 oz softened butter, beaten until very soft.
a little vanilla extract
3 oz icing sugar

Beat together until very soft.

Add:
6 oz plain flour
2 oz cornflour

Work the flours into the butter, then fill your piping bag.

Pipe a large round swirl into the paper cases, add a whole blanched almond or a small amount of jam in the dip in the middle, then bake for about 20 mins.

Dust with more icing sugar when almost cool. So buttery and melt in the mouth crumbly. Delish,


1 comment:

  1. Well I’ve got them in the oven now I need to clean up the kitchen. Me and piping bags never have a good relationship but I keep trying. I’ve got the mixture everywhere !

    ReplyDelete