Sunday 23 September 2018


Tomato Fish Cakes


Here is a novel idea and I was absolutely delighted with the result! I found this recipe idea in a very old book but have so many tomatoes at present I am desperate to find ideas with which to use them! You can only make so much tomato soup! But I was pleasantly surprised, as I hope you will be. The original did not use the amount of seasoning that I have, to build up the flavours. It sounded quite bland, as so many dishes did long ago. 

You will need a fry pan and oil in which to fry them. I used lemon infused rapeseed oil. I fried the seasoned cod steak in a little oil for 2 mins each side, then set aside to cool. Do not add anything when you mash the potato, except a little salt and pepper perhaps.

For ONE large fishcake, you will need:

1 medium ripe vine tomato, skinned and de seeded, then chopped finely
3 oz cooked, cold mashed potato, like King Edward
3-4 oz cooked flaked cod [don’t over cook]
zest of half small lemon
1 heaped dessertspoonful chopped fresh parsley
seasonings of your choice
a little beaten egg
oil of your choice - I love lemon infused
fresh breadcrumbs, preferably stale
a small amount of chopped chilli if you wish

Fry the finely chopped tomato flesh in a little oil until soft and allow to cool in the pan. [you will need the oil in a mo for frying] In a bowl, mix the cold potato, parsley, zest and tomato flesh and roughly stir to bind with about a dessertspoonful of beaten egg, then stir in the cod. Try not to break the lovely big flakes up too much, and check your seasoning. Plenty of sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Chill. 

Heat the same fry pan as you fried your tomato, with the lovely tomatoey oil. Shape the mix into a large fish cake, then dip it into some beaten egg and finally coat in the stale breadcrumbs.

Fry for about 5 mins each side. Serve with salad, chips, or stir fry veg? Whatever! Just great as a main for lunch, or a starter. It is even good enough for a dinner dish.

Note: Chilli oil would be great too. The quantity will make two smaller fish cakes of course and you could use smoked cod for that different flavour.








2 comments:

  1. I have never made fishcakes, but this recipe makes me think I will try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really loved these fish cakes. As you mentioned, they do need plenty of seasoning. I made two as opposed to a big un, they were big enough for a light lunch with small salad and tartare sauce.
    A keeper.

    ReplyDelete