Monday 30 July 2018


The Queen Mother’s Favourite Cake

I have been given this recipe by several people over the years, so I thought it perhaps about time I made and posted it. On every WI copy I have seen, is the proviso that it must only be made to be sold in aid of a charitable organisation. So I hope, as I pass it on, you will use this the next time you are asked to bake a cake!

Line a Swiss Roll tin, about  9” x 12” with foil, building it up well at the sides.

Pre heat your fan over to “moderate” ie 160C 

Pour a cup of boiling water over a cup [about 4 oz] of chopped dates and 1 teaspoonful of bicarbonate of soda. Let it stand to cool.

6 oz caster sugar
2 oz soft butter
6 oz plain flour
2 oz chopped walnuts, plus a few for the top
1 beaten egg
1 small teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon salt

Mix together then add to the date mixture, stirring well. Tip into your prepared tin and bake for 35 mins.

Topping:

5 tablespoons soft light brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons of cream from the top of the milk [double cream?]

Mix together in a small saucepan and boil for three minutes.  Spread over the cake then top with assorted chopped nuts of your choice. eg more walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds.


Cool then cut into portions. Very very good.

1 comment:

  1. Well, it’s a nice one, I have been looking for. Thanks for sharing such informative stuff. read me

    ReplyDelete