Sunday 17 September 2017



Duchess Cake


Let's start off the autumn season with the most delicious moist cake that is also a great keeper. A friend from Helford gave me this recipe from a tatty old cake small paperback book circa about 1970. I was so impressed by the old book I looked for a copy on eBay - hey presto. I now have my own copy. It was written by a lady named Margaret Bates  and is entitled Talking About Cakes and within its pages are some brilliant recipes. More of those during the next year.

Butter and line a 7” spring form tin. Pre heat your fan oven to 160C

6 oz softened butter
6 oz caster sugar
3 eggs
6 oz plain flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
almond extract
Vanilla extract or bean paste
about 8 oz marzipan
Flaked almonds

Roll out the marzipan to just under a 7” circle. Set aside for a mo.

In a medium bowl, cream the butter and caster, until really light and fluffy. Whisk in the eggs one at a time followed by the extracts. Fold in the flour and baking powder and mix well. Tip half of the mixture into your prepared tin and level off. Place the marzipan on top, then tip in the remaining mix. Scatter over flaked almonds.

Bake for about 1¼ hours, then cool on a rack.

Oh my! A brilliant cake to post on my return! Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment