Monday 19 June 2017



BOIL AND BAKE Cake


Another lovely boiled cake recipe, this time from Gemma, who has kindly sent me her Gran, Peggy Davey’s old recipe. Peggy hailed from the Camborne area although neither Gemma or her Mum can recall where Peggy got the recipe from. Thank you Gemma, I hope I did your Gran’s recipe proud. It is just lovely.

There are several small differences from the boiled cakes that I posted a few weeks ago. I rarely, if ever use margarine these days, but thought I would follow the recipe exactly, which uses Stork.

Grease and line the base of an 8 inch spring form tin. Pre heat your fan oven to 150C 

In a large saucepan, place:

A block of Stork [hard block]
8 oz caster sugar
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
half a pint of water
12 oz sultanas or mixed fruit [I used sultanas]

Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 mins. Allow to go cold. Then add and stir in:

2 beaten eggs
12 oz self raising flour

Mix well, but do not beat. Tip into your prepared tin and bake for about 1 and a half hours.
Try to keep your mitts off it for a day or two before cutting!

Just delicious, as I thought it would be. Thank you Gemma.

Keeping the base recipe, you could vary the flavour slightly by using difference types of sugar, soft dark brown or light muscovado etc., or replace some of the water with orange juice?

Another very different boiled cake soon, this time milk based.




2 comments:

  1. Is that a whole 250g block of stork? Seems a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shouldn't have doubted -cake is amazing!

    ReplyDelete