Wednesday 15 February 2017


Market Day Dinner


I don’t usually post this type of recipe, but noticed it in the Farmer’s Weekly collection, from about 70 years ago and was intrigued. This dish was obviously devised because the farming family were off to market for the day, the lady of the house going into town, with the men folk, to do her shopping. A bygone era, but the recipes live on, when we revise and post them for future generations.

The old book says it can be left in/on an oil stove for several hours, with a tight fitting lid, the longer the better and the more savoury it will be. Have a go and let me know what you think! I made two thirds of the quantity ie 4 chops.

So, a casserole [or similar] with a tight fitting lid. Pre heat your fan oven to 130C

6 pork chops [I used steaks]
2 pigs kidneys, sliced
1 lb onions, sliced
1 ½ lb potatoes, sliced
1 small apple, quartered and sliced
1 teaspoonful dried sage
1 tablespoonful tomato sauce

Peel and slice the potatoes and onions and layer the base, then arrange the chops and kidney on top, adding the sliced apple and sage, plus seasonings.  Add another generous layer of sliced onions then potatoes, with more seasoning. See more pics on my Blog. Pour over a teacupful of water along with the tomato sauce and put on a tight fitting lid. [see note]

As I was about to pop on the lid, I decided [not in the booklet] to crumble over an Oxo cube. [I used a green veggie one].




The result - my husband loved it! I will definitely be doing this again.

Note: I also decided to quickly brown the steaks in a little oil, before starting to layer up.

I popped the “dinner” under a grill for ten minutes before serving, to brown the top too.

No comments:

Post a Comment