Thursday 26 January 2017



CORNISH BUNS


Here is a very special recipe that I have found. Initially I was extremely doubtful when I saw it in the WI Recipes from Cornwall book from the 1960s. A bun with saffron in it, and not yeast based???? Well, I thought I would give it a go anyway, and am very pleased I did! They are absolutely wonderful!!!

I have not given a measure for the saffron. In the olden days, it was measured by how much you could afford, saffron being so costly. But I wanted the mixture to be flavourful and yellow, so used a fair bit. I always buy online and that is often Iranian or suchlike, and much cheaper, but just as good. Did you know that in the 15thC, records show we used to grow our own saffron in Cornwall?

Pre heat your fan oven to 170C. I used a 12 hole muffin tin, although you could use paper cases, of course.  Our forebears probably used bun tins with cases, but they produce just a small mouthful, [with my husband it would be like feeding an elephant strawberries!]  so I used the above with paper cases. This mixture makes 10 large muffin size buns.

Saffron, that has been standing in a small amount [about 2-3 tablespoons] of hot water for 1 hour or more, or better still overnight for the morning.
4 oz softened butter
1 teacup sugar [caster or perhaps soft light brown]
1 breakfast cup of plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 medium eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon golden syrup
1 teacup each of sultanas, currants and peel [very finely chop the peel]
[See notes]

Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, add the beaten eggs, then fold in the flour and bp. Add the saffron water, syrup and the fruit. I found the mixture a little stiff so added a tablespoon of milk, maybe I should have used more water to soak the saffron.

Fill the bun cases or muffin cases [¾ full] and bake for 15-20 mins for small buns, 30 mins for larger muffin size buns.

Very good, and not for the first time, those ladies knew what they were doing!

Note: I weighed as I went along, the ingredients being a little vague.
Sugar - I used caster - 5 oz
Plain flour - 6 oz
fruit each - currants and sultanas 3½ oz each and 3 oz of the peel.



No comments:

Post a Comment