Thursday 7 July 2016



A CORNISH CAKE


This lovely, very old recipe was passed on to me by Sheilagh Banner who follows my page. It was her mother’s recipe and Sheilagh describes her mother as a supreme cake and pastry cook. Thank you so much Sheilagh.

It really does have a strange combination of ingredients but I must tell you the smell from my kitchen, as it cools, is just wonderful!

I used a greased and lined 8” spring form tin, but Sheilagh suggests that her mother might have used a loaf tin sometimes. Whatever! No oven temp was given to me, so I popped it in at 150C, then turning it down to 140C after 20 mins.

10 oz plain flour
4 oz butter [slightly softened]
4 oz soft dark brown sugar
8 oz sultanas
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 tablespoon marmalade
2 tablespoons black treacle
2 tablespoons vinegar [I presume malt]
3 eggs [I used large], beaten
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
a little milk for the top

Sieve the flour and spices together then rub in the butter, add the sugar and fruit. Warm the treacle and vinegar [in a microwave] then add the marmalade and bicarb. Add the eggs to the other liquids and tip into the dry ingredients and mix well.

Tip into your prepared tin, then brush the top with some warmed milk and bake for about 1 - 1¼ hours. I did the full time. 

A lovely cake and I will definitely make it again, although I do not think I will bother with brushing the top with milk and I will increase the quantity of the sultanas. It looks quite different with a smooth top!

Does anyone have some more old recipes? lauriemb@sky.com. You will get full credit. We need to preserve them for posterity and our descendants.


1 comment:

  1. That looks so moist and sounds flavorful and delicious!

    ReplyDelete