Sunday 13 March 2016


Tomato and Walnut Cake


Yes, you did read that correctly. The base of this delicious cake is condensed tomato soup, although once baked you would never know. We all know that other veggies make great moist yummy cakes, especially if you have tried my other parsnip and beetroot recipes. I have yet to post my version of the carrot cake [I have never tasted better] but for those who follow my efforts - trust me, have a go and don't be put off!!!! It tastes absolutely wonderful.  I took the photo as close as I could get to the cake, to show you the moist texture. It keeps well too.

I have used a bundt tin and do love them, it is a shame they are so underused in the UK. Cakes are so easy to slice using a Bundt and you can be quite inventive when decorating. I bought mine in Sainsburys and use it a lot. But an ordinary spring form tin would be just as good.

Pre heat your fan oven to 160C, then butter well a bundt tin, then sprinkle some flour over the butter and tap out the excess. Mine is 10” in diameter.  [a 9” loose bottom tin would be just as good, but line the base] or a couple of 8” sponge tins, and fill the middle afterwards.

In a bowl place:

4 oz softened butter
10 oz caster sugar

Cream the two, it is so much easier in a mixer, but by hand is fine. While that is creaming, assemble your dry ingredients.

8 oz plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon
3-4 oz finely chopped walnuts
1 egg
1 can condensed tomato soup 
[Batchelors in Asda 79p]

Add the beaten egg, then alternate the soup and dry ingredients a bit at a time.
Finally, fold in the nuts. Tip into your prepared tin and bake for about 45-50 mins, until just firm to the touch. [if using smaller sponge tins, reduce the baking time] Carefully remove from the tin and cool on a rack.

Meanwhile, make a topping.

I have before used a cream cheese and icing sugar topping mixed with some orange juice and covered the cake. 

But now I have used a simple drizzle, made with icing sugar along with some lemon juice and some more chopped walnuts.

Just delicious.

A friend, who used to live in Scotland has given me a fruit cake recipe using as the base, fresh chopped green tomatoes.  Can’t wait to try that, but it will have to wait until the end of the summer. Another veggie cake soon. This time with Sweet Potatoes.


No comments:

Post a Comment