Tuesday 2 June 2015


JAM BUNS


The simplest delight! When I was asking around about recipes that some of my more senior Cornish friends remembered from their childhood, almost all spoke of Jam Buns. I don’t recall ever eating them but my husband did and after my first attempt, he scoffed four before they were cold. I think I may have to keep making them! Nowadays it is all rich cupcakes and heavily decorated fancies, so it is refreshing to see such a simple and delicious bun. It is all about the ingredients. They are very easy to make [perfect for children to cut their baking teeth on] and I used a basic Victoria mix.

Prepare an ordinary bun tin, lined with cases. Turn your fan oven on to 190 deg C. Makes 12 buns.

4 oz butter
4 oz castor sugar
4 oz self raising flour
2 eggs, beaten
½ teaspoon of vanilla bean paste
Jam of your choice.

Everyone I spoke to, said it was usually homemade Blackberry Jam that their mother used. As I have mentioned before, that fruit was free and it was in common use for jams and tarts. I used homemade Apricot, mostly because that was already open.

Cream the softened butter, vanilla and sugar until light and fluffy then gradually whisk in the beaten eggs. Then gently fold in the flour.

Using a couple of dessertspoons, half fill the bun cases, then carefully make a little well in each. Pic on my Blog. Place half a teaspoon of jam in each well, then cover with the remaining mix. Make sure it is sealed so that the jam does not run out. Do not fill the cases more than about three quarters of the way up or they will pour over the sides when rising.







Bake for about 12 minutes, until golden. When cold, I dusted them lightly with icing sugar. Lovely. Simple. Easy. Yummy.


2 comments:

  1. Hi there, How long would you cook these for ?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops sorry just looked further down. 12 mins. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete