Tuesday 5 May 2015


PINEAPPLE BOILED FRUIT CAKE


Many folk ask me which is my favourite cake - or more precisely, my husbands? He would live on cake if I let him!! When I started my Blog/FB just over eighteen months ago, this cake and the accompanying photograph was used to promote it. I have had the recipe forever but have no memory where I got it. Such a deliciously moist cake that is so easy to Bake!!  It was the first recipe I posted on my Blog and I have passed it on to many friends over the decades. Very handy for a standby as it keeps in a tin for up to 4 weeks. You start off with…….

A can of crushed Pineapple! 

Place this [Del Monte 435 g] in a large saucepan, along with
4 oz butter
1 cup of caster sugar [or golden caster]
1 lb mixed fruit
some peel and cherries to the weight of about 4 oz [or more fruit]
1 level teaspoon of cinnamon
1 level teaspoon mixed spice

Gently bring these to the boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Simmer for 5 mins then allow to cool for about an hour, maybe a little less. [if desperate I have done it in 30 mins, but be very careful]

Now add:
2 cups of Self Raising flour
2 large beaten eggs

Tip into a prepared 8" tin or also cooks well in a 2lb loaf tin. This is often easier to slice. Whatever! I generally line the bottom as well. This recipe is so adaptable and behaves perfectly.

Bake in preheated fan oven 140 deg C for 1hour 45 mins or ten minutes longer for the loaf tin.  Check the top and turn down the temperature for last 15 mins.
Although scrummy as soon as it is cool, it does improve in a day or two.

I love using cups as a measurement and they are readily available for a pound or two. Very handy. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this great recipe. Mine turned out perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe is what I am looking for. I also prefer cups and oz. to the Metric system. Thank from across the Pond.

    ReplyDelete