Thursday 26 February 2015


BANANA CAKE


I have been making this cake for over 40 years, I reckon! It is so easy, a child can easily make it and my daughter cut her baking teeth with it, many many moons ago. It is soft and spongey with the most scrumptious flavour and keeps well for a few days, not that you will need to. I always ice it and top with assorted nuts. The mix of banana and nuts along with the sugar hit, goes perfectly.

Pre heat your fan over to 150C and grease and line the bottom of a 8 inch spring form tin.

6 oz softened butter
6 oz caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
3 medium ripe bananas - I used 2 very large ones. Or you may need 4 smaller ones.
3 tablespoons milk 
1½ teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda
9 oz SR flour
3 eggs
icing sugar and assorted nuts

Very easy, using the creaming method. Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy, add the beaten eggs, one at a time [I also use a teaspoon of the flour with each egg].
Mash the bananas with a fork then add to the mix. Dissolve the bicarb in the milk, then add that too, along with the flour. Mix well and place in your prepared tin. Bake for approx 1 hour. I usually turn the oven down to about 140C after 45 mins. How easy is that?


Make up the icing, using just water or along with a drop of rum. Pour over the top of the cooled cake, then top with nuts. For the above cake I used blanched hazelnuts, flaked almonds and brazils. Very handy to use up left over packets in your cupboard. Just delicious. One of my family favourites! I never tire of making it and they never tire of eating it!

No comments:

Post a Comment