Wednesday 22 October 2014


FISH PIE from Boscastle


“Take some rock mackerel, fillet, and place in a pie dish, sprinkle breadcrumbs, then chopped suet and parsley. Repeat until the dish is full, then pour over milk and bake”

I quote from my old 1920s Cornish Recipes book. It all seems very straightforward. I am not totally sure what ‘rock” mackerel is, but am presuming ordinary mackerel.

I use whole milk, of course, as this recipe is very old and that is all they had. But I will use Vegetable Atora, although our forebears would have bought a whole piece from the butcher and chopped it themselves. Seasoning is not mentioned but I will assume they used sea salt and pepper, between each layer.

I use stale ish breadcrumbs from the end of my own loaf. I love breadmaking and never buy. My favourite everyday recipe is Paul Hollywood’s basic white. He is so good. I also like Allinson’s flour.

As I make the pie I am wondering whether to take the skin off? I think I will, along with checking for as many bones as I can. I also use the Atora sparingly, but lots of chopped parsley!  Now the baking time and oven temperature? I decide to use a hot oven [210C] and put my timer on for 30 mins., checking after 20. That was just perfect! This took 25 mins.

The result? I am eating it for my lunch! What a surprise - it was absolutely delicious! If you enjoy mackerel then you will love this! The milk had been absorbed by the breadcrumbs and fish, and the flavours merged wonderfully. Our forebears knew what they were up to!!!

The pictured small pie, enough for 2 with a salad, used 8 fillets.

Note: I imagine you could substitute a few little nobs of butter for the Atora.




1 comment:

  1. When I was a youngster Scad were sometimes called Rock Mackerel but the only people that would eat them and garfish were the French

    ReplyDelete