Sunday 2 March 2014



RUSSIAN CREAM

Why is this dish called Russian, when it is Cornish??? Hey ho. I believe this was originally made and ate on special days, like Helston Flora. But I have spoken to many folk who regularly ate it, especially for Sunday tea. It was for an occasion.

I will admit now, that my first attempt was a bit of a disaster, but this later and adjusted version worked like a dream.

Scant pint of whole milk  [less the 2 egg yolks, ie 1 pint in total with yolks]
3 tablespoons caster sugar
1 sachet of gelatine [or sheet equivalent] to set 1 pint of liquid
2 eggs, separated
vanilla - from a pod is by far the best, or bean paste, but essence will do.
Note: For flavour and taste invest in a jar of Vanilla Bean Paste. Yes, it is about £6 but goes a long way, will last and keeps for ages. You will not regret it.

Whisk the egg white to stiff peaks. Set aside for a mo. Get the dishes ready nearby [or a mould] you will use.

In a saucepan heat the milk, sugar, vanilla and gelatine and whisk until the sugar and gelatine are dissolved [on a low to medium heat] Then add the egg yolks and continue whisking until boiling. DO NOT STOP WHISKING. Take the pan off the heat and whisk in the egg whites. Pour carefully into the dishes and leave to set, about 3 hours. Do not move them.

The bottom clears to make a creamy very thick set custardy jelly and the top stays frothy. I used a vanilla pod, hence the little black bits that you can see. This gives it an amazing flavour.  

Very nice. Clotted cream to serve? - you could, but it does not need it.

2 comments:

  1. The Americans have a version by the same name, they make it with sour cream

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this! My great aunt made russian cream for every family Sunday roast when I was little. I used your post to explain it to my American girlfriend who had not heard of it. I'm going to look for recipes for Cornish food in your blog!

    ReplyDelete