Wednesday 5 February 2014



POTATO JOWDLE


I admit, I had never heard of this dish or - to my shame - ever heard of St Colon, the small village where it seems to have originated. St Colon lies just off the road between Indian Queens and Newquay, east of St Columb Major. Even more shameful - I had to Google it!

In my old Cornish Recipes book, they call this a “a very good supper dish”. I do not think there is any definitive recipe or quantities for the main ingredients of Potato and Onion plus seasonings.

I quote “ cut up enough raw potato to fill a frying pan”. Off I go.
When a recipe tells me to chop potato, there is only one way I would do it!!! As if I was making pasties! I am a Cornishwoman after all.

I used a large onion, sliced and quickly fried it off in a little butter and oil mix, until just coloured, then added the potato, plenty of seasoning and covered with boiling water as instructed. I used a floury potato, King Edward. Do I use half and half? I really do not know so used 1 large onion and 3 King Edwards. Then I could not resist adding some parsley - surely my ancestors would have added some herbs? [Not sure I have any ancestors from St Colon though].

I stirred it through a couple of times and left it to simmer and gently bubble away, uncovered to absorb the water. I sprinkled on some more parsley near the end and lashings of fresh ground pepper and some sea salt flakes.

The taste test? It was very good. How can you go wrong with potatoes and onion?
I will make this again and the Jowdle would be just great as a side dish with a chop, steak or chicken.  But I bet it would be even better using a little veggie stock instead of just water…..

But what does Jowdle mean? Where does this word come from? St Colon? These days, just Colon.



1 comment:

  1. I grew up in Colan,my Mum used to make this and call it Teddy Jowdle

    ReplyDelete