Monday 23 September 2013

Cherry & Almond Cake

This cake is a part of history! It is deliciously moreish, moist and almondy [is that a word?] and it is baked at a very, very low temperature for 3 hours. I have passed this recipe on to many friends and I am sure they have passed it on as well. I have lost count of the many times I have baked it and my husband loves it.

In July 1954 my Mother was listening to Woman's Hour on the radio. It was a momentous day!
Rationing had come to an end and you could finally buy quantities of butter. To celebrate the occasion they broadcast this recipe and my Mother wrote it down......

Prepare a 8" round loose bottomed tin, lightly oiled. No need to line it, as it is cooked at such a low temperature. Turn your fan oven to 120 deg C.

In a mixing bowl, cream:

8 oz butter  [do not even THINK of using margarine]
8 oz castor sugar

Beat together 3 large eggs, then add to the above, when light and fluffy

Then add:
8 oz Plain Flour
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
4 oz Ground Almonds
a few drops of Almond essence
6 - 8 oz of glace cherries [the original programme suggested 4 oz, but I like more]

Mix together carefully and place in the tin. Bake for 3 hours
After one hour turn down to 115 deg C and for the final hour bake at 110 deg C

Absolutely, perfectly, delicious
It freezes like a dream too!


No comments:

Post a Comment