Saturday 2 November 2013

SUCK CREAM

Yes, I agree, a most unfortunate name for this old Cornish dessert from the North Coast, Boscastle area. But who am I to change our heritage by renaming it something else, more acceptable to today’s English? 

I took this recipe straight from my trusty 1920s recipe book. It had few method details and no timings and so when I started prepping, I was winging it!

“Boil half a pint of raw cream” [I used Double Cream]
“add the yolk of an egg, well beaten” [small egg, as the original recipe was 2 x the amount]
“2 spoonfuls of white wine”  I decided to go for it and use large ones of Sauvignon Sec!!

A bird does not fly on one wing, my handsome!!

“sugar and lemon peel to taste” Now did they mean castor? I suppose so - I used a level tablespoonful and I grated the zest of one large lemon with a large grater, making bigger bits. Reserve a quarter for top decoration.

“Stir over a gentle fire until it be as thick as cream” . Well I placed all the ingredients in a small pan and gently brought it to a boil, stirring all the while. Then simmered for 7 or 8 mins and checked, it was definitely getting thicker. I gave it another minute.

I decided that was it and decanted the hot cream mix into 2 crystal glasses. When starting to set I sprinkled over the reserved lemon zest.

“Serve in glasses with long pieces of dry toast” Yuk. Dry Toast?!!  Maybe a nice Shortbread?

It tasted lovely. A simple, lightly set, dessert. My husband loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment