Sunday 3 November 2013



HELSTON PUDDING

As I write, it is Sunday morning my husband is cooking the Roast Pork for lunch and I am prepping the dessert. Helston Pudding is a very old recipe, steeped in the long forgotten past and I am working from my old recipe book, which, for once, has some quantities and timings given!

Butter a pudding basin and prep a saucepan, with folded sheets of kitchen paper in the bottom [to protect the base of the pudding] - that’s not in the book!

2 oz each of:
raisins, currants, suet, sugar, breadcrumbs, ground rice and finally plain flour.
add: 
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
½ teaspoon of mixed spice
pinch salt
milk to mix.
Clotted cream to serve

I decided to use light muscovado sugar and vegetable Atora. I carefully started to add the milk and reckon it takes about 5 fl oz. I used semi skimmed as I did not have whole milk.

Just mix it all together. Very easy. Then tip into your buttered basin, cover with a lid of parchment and foil and place on the folded paper, then carefully pour in boiling water and set to steam for 2 hours, checking periodically the water levels.

I have seen more modern versions with things like chopped dried apricots in the mix, but find it unlikely that our forebears would have used such a luxury item. Of course they would not have used [or heard of] muscovado either!! Castor sugar, I would imagine.

The pudding was delicious and we all enjoyed it! 



3 comments:

  1. My family have used this recipe for at least 70 years every Christmas. My family always makes 2. 1 for Christmas and other for New Year. It is so much nicer than traditional Xmas pudding and leftovers are delicious fried in butter the next day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family have used this recipe for at least 70 years every Christmas. My family always makes 2. 1 for Christmas and other for New Year. It is so much nicer than traditional Xmas pudding and leftovers are delicious fried in butter the next day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this pudding today for the first time whilst looking for Cornish home baking ideas as I live in Scotland now. I was asked by colleagues to take part in a home baking fundraiser for Macmillan Nursing. Easy to follow, easy to make, easy to steam, even for me xx

    ReplyDelete