Tuesday 7 February 2017



DATE LOAF


Here is a proper old fashioned Cornish recipe from the WI ladies. They suggest you must keep it  for one day before cutting, then spread each slice with butter. It is very simple to make and enjoy. Our forebears did love dates, didn’t they?

Pre heat your fan oven to 170C and lightly butter a 1lb loaf tin. I always use a strip of parchment, hanging over the long edges to help lift it out.

6 oz roughly chopped dates [then from a block - rarely seen the days, of course]
1 teacup of hot water
1 level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 large egg
4 oz caster sugar
pinch salt
2 tablespoons melted butter
8 oz plain flour

Put the dates in a small saucepan with the hot water and boil for a few minutes. Remove from the heat and add the bicarb, mix well and leave to cool.

Beat the egg and add to the salt, sugar and butter, stir in the sifted flour and lastly the cooled soggy dates. Mix thoroughly and tip into your prepared loaf tin. Bake for about 45 mins, maybe a little longer.

Don't forget to keep it for a day before slathering it with butter!! Just yummy.


1 comment:

  1. I love your blog and recipes , just beautiful an I love the history of them , thank you !!
    I'm trying to locate an old recipe of yours which I believe I found back when I was Facebook, it's a kind of sponge with blueberries and crumble topping , if you could point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful. Thank you again for all your amazing hard work , sharing this lovely food . Tracey

    ReplyDelete