Saturday 14 January 2017



PORK PASTIES


This is taken from the excellent Cornish Recipes, dated 1929, which gives such a good insight into the recipes our forebears used in the early part of the last century. A few months ago I made  the liver pasties and now it is time for the pork. I will “quote” and make exactly as instructed in the book.

Make a batch of rough puff pastry, using half fat to seasoned plain flour. Use half butter and half Cookeen or lard. Bind with very cold water then chill before use. [did our forebears do this? I doubt it!]

“Use fresh pork [I am guessing shoulder as it was a cheaper cut, with more flavour]
Chipped potatoes
finely chopped onion
Sage or thyme [I will use sage]”
Salt and pepper

These will be great at tea time, so I am making tea plate size pasties. “Bake in a quick oven” - I love that expression and know it means quite hot. Pre heat your fan oven to about 220C and lightly butter a baking sheet.

Chop the pork into small cubes, using plenty of lean and some fat. Discard any really fatty bits. Roll out your pastry and cut out the rounds, using a tea plate. Place a small rolling pin across the middle, forming a D, then fill the flat half with the above ingredients, layering up the pork, sage and onions. Season and sprinkle over a little plain flour. You can add a dob of butter too, if you wish.

“Damp the edges and fold over into a semi circle. Shape the pasty nicely and crimp the edges”.




“Cut a slit in the centre of the pasty, lay on a baking sheet and bake in your quick oven”. I also brushed the top with a little milk [or egg] for a nice colour.

Start off at 220C, turning down after ten mins to about 190C. Bake for about 45-50 mins, or even longer for a large pasty.

They really were just delicious.
Note: As you may be able to see from the pics on my Blog, I layered it it by, first covering the base with a generous amount of pork, then onions, sage, about half a medium chipped potato, more pork, onion and sage, lastly seasoning and a sprinkle of flour.


ps - I wonder why they did not use turnip?

1 comment:

  1. I shall be using a bit of turnip, couldn't face pasty without the flavour of turnip.

    ReplyDelete