Monday 30 January 2017


CHIPPLE PIE


Another traditional Cornish pie dish. I took this recipe from the ladies of the WI, although I am sure there are other versions out there. I will look forward to hearing about them! For the uninitiated, Chipples are what our forebears called Spring Onions [Scallions] or very young shallots.

For the authentic look, you do need a proper metal pie plate, easily available these days as retro seems to be popular. A pie plate is very handy in your cupboard as they do make great pies [lovely for an apple pie]. They cook the base so well and you won’t get a soggy bottom with a pie plate!

Pre heat your fan oven to 200C. Butter your pie plate.

Shortcrust pastry. Of course you can buy some in Sainsburys, but make sure it is all butter. I never rub in these days, too many arthritic finger joints and happily use a food processor. It takes but a minute.

8 oz plain flour
4 oz cold butter
pinch salt and white pepper
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoon cold water
I also added half a teaspoon dry mustard powder

Pulse the butter and flour until it looks like fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg and water and continue until it starts to form a ball. Bring together on your work top and chill in the fridge for ten mins.

Spring Onions - I used 12 large, chopped
Diced streaky bacon [I used half smoked half plain]
3 eggs


Line the bottom of your tart plate with half of your pastry. Fill with chipples [chopped spring onions, including the green parts as well as the white - not the tough top bits] and then place pieces of diced streaky bacon [or green bacon] amongst the chipples. Season with pepper and a touch of salt - not too much and add two or more beaten eggs. I dotted some tiny knobs of butter. Cover with the remainder of your pastry. Make a slit on the top, brush with beaten egg and bake in a moderate oven for 45 minutes. I turned down my oven to 190C after 15 mins. More photos on my Blog.

Have I mentioned that our ancestors knew about baking? My husband loved it.

Note: I had to guess the quantities, as per, and used about 6-7 oz of bacon. 
 




4 comments:

  1. Chipples are the tops of shallots not spring onions. Get it right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mother called green onions Chipples and had no trouble asking for them at the green grocers in Devon England. I was so glad to see you recipe because no one seems to know the word now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in Cornwall, two foods I miss: real pasties (not Ginsters rubbish with peas and mince) and chipple pie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Confused by the recipe which says 3 beaten eggs, but the picture shows 3 whole eggs - which is it, or is it both!

    ReplyDelete