Thursday 21 May 2015


TWICE LAID PORK


This is a very very old dish and when I came across the recipe in a little book, found that it was well over a hundred years old [pre1908, probably around 1890] then when I gave it to my husband for his evening meal, he immediately said that he recalled the taste and had eaten it as a child. It uses up left over roast pork, so would have been a Monday supper dish [wasn’t Mondays washing day??].

I will give you the quantities for two people.

Cold Roast Pork slices - quite thinly sliced
1 medium onion, sliced
½ teaspoon plain flour
¼ teaspoon dried sage
1 dessertspoon vinegar
¼ - ½  pint brown stock [I used a beef stock pot]
1 apple finely chopped
Seasoning

Fry the onion and sage in a little oil [the recipe suggested dripping] until nicely brown. Season and add the flour and vinegar [I have no idea why there is vinegar in the recipe!!] Stir to thicken, then add the made up stock, then the apple and finally the pork slices.
Simmer for 30 mins.

It was incredibly delicious! I might add, the pork was even tastier than plain roast with veg!
I will be making this regularly from now on! I love old recipes.

History Note: This recipe came from a little Lemco book, lent to me by Marlene from Falmouth. I Googled Lemco and found out it was the original name for Oxo and before the Lemco brand was introduced it belonged to an company in Uruguay called the Liebig Extract Meat Co., established in 1865. This company developed beef stock as we know it today.

Lemco became Oxo in 1908, so the little book is pre that date. The Lemco name was used for 24 years. So the book was printed after 1884.


No comments:

Post a Comment