Friday 29 May 2015


BEETROOT AND SULTANA CAKE


Doesn’t this sound weird? But beetroot is great in cakes, making them moist with a lovely colour. This is so good and very easy, although I will admit to it being a little messy! I do hope you will not be put off by the title and have a go. My daughter reckons this is one of the most delicious cakes ever. The recipe is from my folder collection but I have several versions of cakes using beetroot. I might make another, one day! As well as some made with carrot and courgettes. All great in cakes.

Lightly oil a 2lb loaf tin and line the bottom with some parchment. I also add a long strip to hang over the sides to help lift it out. Preheat your fan oven to 160C.

You will need about 9 oz of fresh cooked beetroot, cooled, peeled, then grated.
This is the messy bit. I had 3 medium sized beetroot, that I had boiled for 1½ hours and they came to 8½ oz after peeling.

8 oz self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
mixed spice to your own taste - I used ½ a teaspoonful, but more is good too
scant 8 fl oz sunflower oil
8 oz golden caster
4 large eggs, beaten
4 oz sultanas

In a mixing bowl place the flour, BP and spice then stir in the grated beetroot and toss it all around.

In a large jug, mix the oil, sugar and eggs and lightly whisk together. This is best using a hand electric whisk. Then pour it into the flour and beetroot along with the sultanas. Mix well then tip into your prepared tin. Pop this into the oven for about an hour and ten minutes, turning the oven down slightly if browning too much.

How easy is that? Smells wonderful. Tastes amazing too.



No comments:

Post a Comment