Thursday 6 March 2014




WHITE ROOT MEDLEY

You know how great things happen by chance? I went to my veggie fridge box and there they were, side by side. Three of my favourite veggies - and I just love veggies and doing different things with them. So I had a mini brainwave and sliced them in a similar fashion and stir fried them together in a little olive oil. Wow. So as I type, it is the next day and I am doing it again, for lunch with my friend Jeny! And photographing it, of course. The flavours marry so well, each strong, nutty and with a bite! Being me, I added a little chilli as an extra kick. I love it and will be making this forever.

Equal portions [sort of, more or less]:

Fennel
White Turnip
Celeriac

Sea Salt [flakes preferably] and Fresh ground Pepper
red chilli flakes [optional]
Olive Oil

Peel the celeriac and turnip, then slice them, in less than a ¼ of an inch wide slices, then cut once more, making large matchstick shapes. Chop the top off the fennel then halve it. Make an inverted V in the base to take out the root bit, then slice down. Place them all in a bowl along with a small glug of Olive Oil - for me, it has to be Filippo Berio Light and Mild, then toss.

Heat a large stir fry pan then tip in the veg when very hot. Keep tossing as per, letting the edges singe. The smell is absolutely wonderful - why have I never thought of this before….. Add plenty of fresh ground pepper and sea salt - flakes are best. I also added some red chilli flakes for the extra kick, but you don’t have to. 

Use as a side dish or whatever. I have just served it with smoked mackerel. Yum.



No comments:

Post a Comment