Monday 17 March 2014



FARMHOUSE Date and Walnut


I posted this wonderfully milky, Farmhouse recipe, some time ago and this is my favourite adaptation of that basic recipe. This old recipe was given to me by an elderly lady living in Ponsanooth many decades ago and just lends itself to this fruit and the nuts.

You need a lightly oiled 2 lb loaf tin, that I line with parchment to ease lifting the cake out when baked.

In a large saucepan melt:

1 cup of milk [standard UK measurement. You can buy cups anywhere]
1 cup of caster sugar
4 oz butter - NEVER “orrible” marg
Dates and Walnuts to taste.

I use a fair amount and usually buy the ready chopped dates and use the whole packet, for double the quantity, making two cakes, one for the freezer.
Then about 4 oz walnuts. The halves cut in half again or buy a packet of pieces, if you can find it.

Bring slowly to the boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Allow to cool for about 30 mins.

Add:  2 cups of SR flour and 2 beaten eggs. Incorporate quickly, making sure all the flour has been absorbed and pour into the prepared tin. Sprinkle generously with demerera sugar and bake for approx 1 hour at 160 Deg C

This cake freezes well and is a good keeper - at least a week. Yum.

I am having a 2 week break now and heading off to visit friends and relatives "up Country",  then driving to Germany for a special celebration and 18th birthday party. My next post will be around the 2nd April. See you then, when I have planned a special chocolate mini series!!! Nothing Cornish about those recipes!




No comments:

Post a Comment