Saturday 22 February 2014

KIDDLEY BROTH


This is as close as we get to basic Cornish peasant food, probably eaten in some form for hundreds of years. I have no idea what the term “Kiddley” means, although I have heard it may mean kettle. I have seen many versions of this “recipe” but I believe it always starts off with the basic onion broth and bread chunks, then each family would add their own touches of seasoning and herbs. I have even heard of marigolds being added.

My old book has a few versions but I go with the one that suggests I boil several onions.
I opted for about a mid size pan, half full of cold water and added a large onion, split, a red onion and a couple of echalion shallots. You will not get a lot of flavour by boiling this for half an hour. Surely our ancestors would have a crock over the fire simmering for days…. So I started 24 hours beforehand, simmering and reducing the onions until bed time then started again in the morning, planning to eat the Broth for lunch. 

I bake my own bread, so I cut off a very thick slice and very lightly toasted it and cut it into large chunks. I went into the garden in the pouring rain and picked some chives [the things I do for this Blog] and chopped them along with some parsley.

The pan of onions had turned into a thick gloopy mush and I strained the liquid into a basin, pushing through the goodness and flavour of the onions. The liquid was a mid brown colour and smelt quite good.

I took a basin to serve the Broth [unfortunately I do not have an old china one] and tipped in the bread chunks, seasoned them well with lashing of pepper [as suggested] and salt.
I poured over the strained onion broth and generously sprinkled over the herbs.


The taste test? I ate it all. Quite flavourful and tasty. The broth soaked in the bread, making it lovely and oniony. I would not like to live on it, but all in all - not bad. Would be better if I added a veggie stock pot. But that would be cheating.

2 comments:

  1. Kiddley is a sort of pub....A drinking place..A room in someone's house where people could come in for a drink. Most villages would have one...They werw basic, not as a fancy as an 'Inn'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nan used to add a bit of bacon to it.

    ReplyDelete